New York City: A Love Affair
Oh New York, you’ve put a spell on me. And I’m not talking about a brief moment of lust kind of spell, I mean a true, organic love affair. Think I’m being dramatic? Well isn't that what the Big Apple is all about?
I can’t seem to get enough of your energy, your sky high views, the unique charm of your citizens, and the feeling of endless opportunity around every corner. I’ve never been to a city that sparks as much stimulation as New York City. To be honest with you, when I first went, it was almost overwhelming. I was 22 and fresh out of Uni. It was before backpacking throughout Asia and before I really had a handle on city life. But now? I go multiple times a year and just adore getting to know more about the city with every visit.
Intrigued why I’m so passionate about NYC? Keep reading! Here are some reasons why I’ve fallen in love with the city that never sleeps and why I recommend everyone visits at least once in their life.
Looking for atmosphere?
NYC is the capital of delicious eats and funky bars that bring together all types of culture craving addicts. You could spend a year in New York and not even get through all of the best places to . Here is a list of my top 5 New York hot spots to check out on your next trip.
1. Employees Only - A watering hole in Manhattan’s West Village, Employees Only provides a gorgeous interior, crafty cocktails and food that is deliciously crafted for every palate.
2. Barbounia - A foodie hot spot for New York’s trendiest citizens. Barbournia offers incredible medditeranian cuisine with bright decor, magnetic energy and the best boozey brunch in Manhattan. (Yes, I’d like to make that claim.)
3. Le Bain @ The Standard - Looking for a party? La Bain is one of Manhattan’s top clubs, located in the Meat Packing District, providing some of the best parties in the city with DJs spinning multiple nights a week. The views are some of the best you’ll find too. Get ready for a wild night out if you make your way to Le Bain.
4. Apotheke - Super funky cocktail bar located down a hidden alley steps from Chinatown. They’ll craft you any type of cocktail your heart desires. Nothing is too strong or too strange for these bartenders.
5. Baby’s All Right - Boozey brunch in Brooklyn. Very boozey, very hip and very reasonably prices for the amount of Prosecco they give you! :)
New York is a hub for any and all the art you could ever want. And I’m not talking just art galleries or musicals on broadway. I mean, at any day and time you can immerse yourself in a comedy show, a theatrical experience like Sleep No More, attend the ballet, or get to experience a taping of Saturday Night Live!
And if you are hoping to catch a show on Broadway, head on over to broadway.com to find out what’s playing and to scope out tickets. Definitely worth hitting up MOMA or the MET as well. Don’t think of yourself as an Art Gallery goer? I promise you, there really is an exhibit for everyone. It’s worth the trip!
New York is arguably one of America’s top cities for art and culture. You don’t need long in the city to dive into some incredible art. Not sure where to start? Talk to the locals, they’ll be your ticket to finding the hottest activities in town.
New York is made up of 5 Burroughs. Due to the cities size, you won’t be able to concur all the neighborhoods in one day, but you can definitely start with the ones I’ve listed below. Take your camera and hit the sidewalks for a day full of walking. It’s one of the best ways to see the city.
5. Chelsea Highline
Looking for an opportunity to be your truest and best self?
I’m not saying a city should influence you being your truest self, this comes from within and we all know that. But what I am saying is that New York is a place that really allows oneself to be at their truest. Dress however the hell you want, make friends with everyone and anyone that sparks your interest, seek excitement, pleasure and fun, stay out all night dancing, eat the finest foods in the world and sip on some of the highest quality cocktails! New York is a city where anything is possible, and if you allow yourself to let go and dive right in; trust me on this one, you’ll come out feeling full of empowerment and magic!